Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Heavenly

That is the only way I can describe the dinner I just had. And it had nothing to do with the food, although it was also very good. I met up with Bernie and four of his/our friends at a local restaurant, on the patio. Side note: Bernie is in a workshop this week which has translated into him being away from home for 14+ hours every day. I'm ready for that to be over. Anyway...I got there first while waiting for everyone else to get where they needed to be. Bennett was crabby all the way over, so I was counting on the worst. Instead, he barely made a peep for over an hour and just sat in the highchair playing with his toys. I got to enjoy my entire meal without even having to hold or entertain him at all. This is unheard of. He doesn't usually throw fits in a restaurant but he wants to be held and get into everything. I guess he know mommy needed a little adult time.

Right not I am enjoying a glass of wine and chocolates. And not just any chocolates. I bought these at a winery in Oregon and they are meant to pair with red wine. They are all very dark 75% cacao on up and are awesome with the wine. Now I'm just waiting to see if Bernie brings back anyone to enjoy them with me.

I've been trying my hand at a little baby food making with some success. I have carrots and peaches frozen in ice trays in the freezer as well as some bananas and avocados. I also turned some of the monster squash into baby food, although it doesn't have quite enough taste for Bennett. I just mix it with something else like sweet potatoes and he eats it just fine.

To use all of the alien squash...

one large squash casserole (9x13 pan)
two dozen squash muffins
babyfood

and those stupid plants produce at least 1-2 more every day (not that size of course). OK, I'll shut up about the squash plants. Ready right now we also have cucumbers, tomatoes, green peppers, and a SHIT TON of lettuce. And I mean shit ton...like 10 huge heads of lettuce. Salad time for this family!

2 comments:

The Red Fantastic said...

glad benny was good! that chocolate sounds awesome, too.

LECHUGA!

Amanda and Bernie said...

And it really is fresh from the garden!! LOL