Friday, July 9, 2010

Home Sweet Home

We got back from our vacation a couple of days ago. It was fun and also long. I was ready to get back home by the end. We spent 8 days in each state along with the drives. On the way to Great Falls, things went pretty well. But then Bennett got a cold and as a result the drive to North Dakota was rough on everyone. Poor boy ran a fever of 104+ the day before we left. The trip home was not bad, but I am ready to be done traveling for awhile. I will be happy if we stay in the area for some time to come. The DVD player was the key to some peace on the drives. Bennett loves his Gabba Gabba.

Bennett loved being with he grandparents and reveled in the attention. Grandma Ladawna gives him the run of the house and says no to very very little. We spent time with my family and of course all of my friends while in Great Falls. Seeing Sara and Mel's kids was a definite highlight. I can't believe how much all of us have grown up. I got to spend extra time with Amy and her family up in Seeley Lake where they have a cabin. My aunt Kathy watched Bennett while I spend 6 heavenly hours in Missoula. Oh how I miss that place. I keep telling Bernie that if a job opens up there, we must apply. North Dakota was also a good time. It was 100 degrees a couple of days, which is a bit much for me. Bennett went to the zoo and Bernie and I got to go on a really fun pontoon ride on the Missouri with some of Bernie's longtime friends. The only way it could have been better is if I was able to have more than a couple of sips of beer. The 4th of July was a noisy affair in Mandan. They allow basically all fireworks to be fired off within the city limits and Bismarck does not. So everyone comes over and shoots them off for most of the night. Luckily we had a good noise maker for Bennett. I don't know why, but fireworks do not interest me at all. If fact, I don't really like them. Party pooper.

My dad is how one would expect. We have been talking about a possible move to the former Downtowner for about a year now. It's a subsidized apartment building in Great Falls that serves meals. It's not an assisted living, but at least there would be people around and have food available. He was interested until I asked to take him on a tour. Then he told me he had changed his mind. His new plan is to travel around to all of the different relatives homes (his dad, me, his siblings) and stay for a couple of months before moving on. This from the man who couldn't deal with changing grocery shopping time from morning to afternoon. If that was too much a change in routine, I'm not sure how he will deal with that much constant change. And what about everyone else? My dad in the house with two young children? Blah. It wouldn't work anyway because you have to climb stairs to do anything here (maybe I did that subconsciously). I didn't have the guts to tell him at the time, but I wouldn't be able to stand having him in my house long-term. Piles of bibles everywhere.
He's probably a year or less away from a wheelchair, so reality is just around the corner

Our 23 week growth scan was the day after we got home. Baby girl weighed in at 1 lb. 3 oz. Her abdomen, arm, and leg were measuring right on, but her head was measuring 2 weeks behind (in the 2nd percentile). My MFM wasn't worried and thought it might be the position she was in. Or it might be that she just has a small head. Or it might be an ultrasound error and next time everything will be normal. I can't help but worry though. So now it's over three weeks until the next ultrasound. We are discussing names but haven't come up with anything yet.

Bernie's mom was planning to come down if and when Bernie goes on a fire this summer. Sometimes he goes out for 2 weeks at a time and I would want/need the help. But it doesn't look good for fires any time soon. I think she's going to come down this month anyway. She is bringing some fun outdoor toys for Bennett including the Flintstones car he liked. Visitors galore!

1 comment:

Sara Habein said...

We gave Jack a glowstick since he wasn't old enough. Grace was able to hold some sparklers but it was actually a bit chilly on the 4th here.