Saturday, July 25, 2009

Latest Happenings

I went to see Tori Amos on Tuesday with my friend Michaela. I had gotten a ticket for Marlena also, but she wasn't able to make it down. I had a really good time. It was fun to see Tori again. It was 2002 when I saw her last in Missoula. I haven't had a chance to really get into the new album, but the great thing about a Tori concert is that she plays a lot of her older songs. Her catalog is huge and she always varies her set list considerably from concert to concert. Oasis and Tori within a year...not bad at all. We also had a pretty good meal at an Italian restaurant downtown.

Sleep around here remains very interrupted. Just yesterday Bennett finally started to roll off of his tummy, however, he still isn't doing it consistently in his crib. And then yesterday I decided to remove the crib bumper (bad mother, I know). Since Bennett was born, we have been using a motion/sound monitor. I love this thing and it was especially important when he was an itty bitty guy on oxygen. It will go off if it doesn't sense any movement for 20 seconds. When he was staying in the middle of the crib, it worked well. Now that he has been moving around, he often ends up horizontal in the very top of the crib. When he is in a deep sleep the monitor has a hard time picking him up. The result is even more frequent wakings to turn the alarm off. I figured I was comfortable turning the motion monitor off at this point if I took the bumper out. Last night was the trial run and it was awful. Usually he just whines when he wakes. Instead, he was knocking his head on the railings and his limbs were hanging out. Screaming ensued. After some thought I realized that I could turn the sensitivity up from 2 to 5 on the monitor. I put the bumper back in (bad mother, I know) and turned it up. We'll see how it goes tonight.

The garden is going wild. Squash and tomatoes every day. There is so much lettuce. I don't know how a person could eat so much. We are going to take some of it to Great Falls. My newly organic mother should love it. There a couple of ears of corn almost ready and green peppers growing. We are still waiting for cucumbers, hot peppers, and broccoli. I feel pretty good about our first real foray into vegetable gardening.

We are off to Great Falls on Monday morning. I am hoping Bennett wants to be nice and not throw too many fits in the back seat. The goal will be to make it in one day if he lets us. The trip should be full again trying to see everyone. My mom is teaching swimming lessons right now. She can't wait to take Bennett to the pool. She already has him signed up for a water babies class.

The final pumping session is drawing near...stay tuned for an official announcement.

3 comments:

Sara Habein said...

Official announcement, eh? Hmm... Hmmm... No I don't have any guesses.

So you did see Oasis? I knew you had bought the tickets and then you didn't mention it, and I didn't want to be an ass and ask if you went since Bennett was so new and tiny and I didn't know what the whole situation was. So... I assume it was good. ;)


I wish I could've seen Tori when she was in Missoula but I was supermega poor at the time. I haven't bought the new album yet, but I like the song she's been playing on the late night shows. It's been a bit harder for me to bond with everything post-Scarlet's Walk, and I'm not sure why.

Amanda and Bernie said...

I guess that comment was not very clear! I just meant that there would be an announcement when I was officially done pumping. Nothing more exciting going on.

I can't believe I didn't post about the Oasis concert...what a dummy. It was awesome of course. It was only two weeks after Bennett was born, so definitely bittersweet. I'm not sure if I had been pregnant if I could have taken the noise.

It's been hit and miss with Tori's recent albums. I really enjoyed the last one and only sort of liked the one before...she is so productive...albums seem to come out all the time.

Sara Habein said...

I know, I feel that way with Ani D. sometimes -- she seems to have about one (sometimes 2) a year.

And re: the noise... I can imagine that would've been quite intense pregnant! I was talking to people who were all the way in the back of the Seattle venue and they said the walls were shaking even back there.