Saturday, November 29, 2008

Bennett Update

We have had a busy couple of days. I was discharged from the hospital on Wednesday and am feeling much better. On Tuesday night we had a couple of setbacks that made for a terrible night's sleep. One of Bennett's lungs collapsed. He had to have a rod placed in his lung, a chest tube put in, and started back on the respirator. They had tried a different breathing machine, but he did not take to it.

They were able to remove the rod, chest tube, and respirator yesterday. He did much better this time around and is now breathing with the help of an oxygen cannula. He also got to start eating on Thanksgiving which is very appropriate. He cannot coordinate his sucking and swallowing yet (should happen around 35-36 weeks), so he has a tube that goes into his stomach. The are feeding him 6 ounces of breast milk every three hours. This is more than they started with, so that is good news. He threw up a little today which is normal as his stomach adjusts to having something in it. I spend a lot of time pumping and pumping and pumping. But it feels good to be able to contribute something meaningful to his care.

We get to touch him and help with his care (change his diaper and take his temp) every three hours. So far, we have decided to commute back and forth on a daily basis to see him. It takes about 50 minutes each way, which isn't too bad. There are babies there who don't see their parents for weeks because they live and work out of state.

There are new pictures on Flickr. I posted a link on the left side of the page.

5 comments:

Heather said...

Hi, you two! I am so, so, so glad to see that he is hanging in there so well. He is so tiny and adorble. I want to let you know that all three of you are in my thoughts and prayers and also congratulations on being parenthood!!

Amanda and Bernie said...

Heather! I lost contact with your blog so long ago...now I can catch up again. I hear you are back in Great Falls. I hope you are doing well. Thank you so much for your kind thoughts and wishes.

Sara Habein said...

Oh my gosh, I step away for a week and so much happens! I'm so, so glad to hear that things are looking up for him. Seconding all of what Heather said-- You are all definitely in my thoughts, and I hope you are all able to get some rest soon.

The Red Fantastic said...

I am so glad he recovered that little mishap! He is a fighter! It sounds like all is well again, I hope it stays that way!

Bob and Melissa said...

We are thinking of you all!! Thanks so much for posting updates on Bennett, its a great way to keep us all up to date on the little guy. Bennett is adorable and we cant wait to meet him! Congrats to you both, and you will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. Love to you all!