Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I guess the most important issue I need to report on is Bennett's developmental evaluation. He was diagnosed with pervasive developmental disorder-not otherwise specified (PDD-NOS). It's still a bit confusing to me, but I do understand that it is on the autism spectrum. There are so many things we need to get done now. He needs more speech therapy, there are a million books to read, a billion theories to sort through, and classes we need to get signed up for. The barrage of acronyms has just begun. We have IEP's and IFSP's to consider and we barely know what they are. I am optimistic. I think Bennett's potential is great and we are getting an early start.

My dad was discharged from the nursing home this week and is now with my uncle Joe's family in Wyoming. He has had a rough couple of days and already a trip to the ER. He is nauseous and barely eating. Everyone is hoping he will be able to settle in soon. I can't see him going anywhere else if he can't make it there. We will have to start considering a long-term facility placement for him I think.

I decided to step down as the coordinator of the 2012 walk due to all of the excitement. I will still be very involved in the planning, but I can't take on the full responsibility.

Miss Vivian has started to pull herself up. I can't believe it. She will be a year old in less than two months. Speaking of birthdays, I have already started to plan both parties. Vivian is having a co-party with her friend Audrey who will also be one. It is going to be a dress-up party since their birthdays are so close to Halloween. Bennett is having a Very Hungry Caterpillar themed party. I am so feaking excited about Bennett's party. He loves the VHC and I have gotten some great ideas off the internet. We are going to decorate his room with the bedding from Pottery Barn Kids (OMG CUTE). His Grandma Jackie just ordered everything for him yesterday as a gift. All of that is definitely a bright spot in all of the difficulty lately.

1 comment:

Sara Habein said...

Always thinking of you. You diagnosed Bennett early and that's awesome and I am sure that will help in the long run. Hang in there, my dear.