Tuesday, March 4, 2008

It's not so cold anymore.

It's been so long since I updated, it's almost spring. We had a seventy degree day this past weekend. We took advantage of it by riding our bikes around the lake near out house and hitting some golf balls on the driving range. I am excited to see grass turning green and soon the leaves will be out.

Bernie's parents were here again this past weekend. They were on their way down to the Phoenix area where they recently bought a vacation house. I would imagine we will see them frequently as they're going back and forth. We mostly shopped and ate out, which are our normal activities.

Bernie will be in Boise while I am on spring break in a couple of weeks. I was going to go with him, since I have never been, but my mom got her new Apple and needs some help learning how to use it. She needs to start from the basics because she never learned how to do things like save a file. She also says we are going to do some "Cooking 101" which should be fun. Hopefully we won't drive each other too crazy.

School is going well, I'm almost halfway through the semester. I got the OK this week to teach next fall for credit. So I will be the instructor for the Gero 205 class, which I am very excited about. I will probably have around 70 students. It will be a good challenge for me.

I have a book recommendation for everyone. It's called "Bodies and Souls: The Century Project" written by Frank Cordelle. It is a collection of photos of nude women from birth to age 100. We looked at it my Sociology of Aging class and it has had quite an effect on me. Each photo is accompanied by an explanation or poem written by the subject. The main idea of the book is to convey women and body image throughout the lifespan. I have cried a number of times while looking at it. I think some of you out there would appreciate it. You can see a sample of the photos at thecenturyproject.com.

2 comments:

The Red Fantastic said...

This looks like a good read. I browsed through the material they put on the site and I was definitely moved a time or two.

Sara Habein said...

I think I've heard of that book, maybe read an article about it somewhere. What an interesting project.